[GRASSLIST:4460] Re: how to generate high resolution image?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Sep 11 14:42:17 EDT 2002

Xueming Wu wrote:

> I want to transform my composing map which include
> raster, verctors, site and legend into a image so that
> the image can be inserted into a powerpoint slice.
> I used the following method:
>  ps.map --> pstopnm --> ppm2tiff or pnmtojpeg or ppmtogif.
>
> But none of the images can meet my requirement for resolution.
> Any suggestion or idea? Thank you.

If resolution is the issue, don't convert the vector maps to rasters.
Instead, use the PostScript file directly; if PowerPoint can't handle
PostScript, then convert it to a *vector* format which PowerPoint can
handle (Maybe it supports WMF?).

If you can't find any way of importing the data into PowerPoint
without rasterising the vector layers, then use a higher resolution.
Calling "gs" directly (rather than using pstopnm) will allow you to
exercise more control.