[GRASSLIST:4496] RE:Two questions: 1. r.param.scale; usage and etc... an error got into my last post!!

Lars Forseth larsf at powertech.no
Fri Sep 13 18:07:53 EDT 2002

On Thursday 12 September 2002 08:22, Markus Neteler wrote:
> I think that r.param.scale was updated *after* we wrote that section.
> That means that the default values are different, maybe leading to bad
> results with integer DEM. I will investigate after GRASS conference.
>
> > (By the way a good book :-)!)
> >
> > 2. Is there a way you can to a "density" analysis a la ArcView
> > SpatialAnalyst; with sites (i e point) data? How?
>
> The s.kernel is close to be released. It seems to do it's job :-)
> But: could you write in detail what SpatialAnalyst is doing when doing
> "density" analysis?
>
> Markus

Markus and others!

Sorry for a little late response to this, but I am doing this list from my
home using my private e-mail adress.

Enclosed you will find a t.xt file with the text from the relevant help
section in ArcView 3.2 with SpAnalyst v 2.0 installed. I think Erik G Miller
is pretty accurate in his response on this. Though it does allow you to
choose betwen simple and kernel density type. And it also calculates the
density based on a circle, the diameter of witch you give as a parameter. In
"The ESRI guide to GIS analysis" vol 1: p 75-85 describe the methodolgy
behind density surfaces in SA.

The s.kernel module sounds to be pretty much what I am looking for.

Regards

LarsF