[GRASSLIST:5944] Re: dgn file

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 2 09:20:25 EST 2003

Carlos Henrique Grohmann de Carvalho wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> Does anyone know how I can, in a Linux box, convert MicroStatio *.dgn files
> into dxf or shape, or something that GRASS can read?

Carlos,

The "ogr2ogr" application (part of GDAL/OGR) provides conversion of
DGN files to Shapefiles.  In GRASS 5.1, DGN files should be useable directly.

   http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/opengis/

Note that DGN files generally contain a mixture of geometry types, while
shapefiles may only have one type of geometry so you will need to do some
fooling around to translate the DGN file into a "point", "line", and "polygon"
file to capture all features in a complex dataset.

Good luck,