[GRASSLIST:5948] Re: r.in.tiff problem

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Apr 2 11:06:12 EST 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 10:46:35AM -0500, Michael Ash wrote:
> I am having some trouble importing scanned maps with
> r.in.tiff.
>
> The trouble occurs with GRASS 5pre3 for X on
> WindowsXP/Cygwin but not with GRASS 5.0.0 on Linux.  In the
> 5pre3 installation, I get the following error message:
>
> WARNING: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for North
> ERROR: couldn't set cellhd.
>
> Is this a Windows problem or a pre3 problem?  What do you
> recommend?

A later version of r.in.tiff checks for the projection...  An
unreferenced TIFF will have a "region" of 0..width by 0..-height pixels
and a cell size of 1.  But, 90 pixels isn't very many...

Solution:  (1) Import unreferenced images into an XY location.
(2) Newer r.in.tiff will set the projection to XY for the image if it
doesn't have a TFW (I think, maybe this was not a good idea since most
of the projection info is per LOCATION not data set).

(1) is probably the preferred solution.

--
echo ">gra.fcw at 2ztr< eryyvZ .T pveR" | rot13 | reverse