[GRASSLIST:5953] Re: Keyboard setting in cygwin/GRASS

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Apr 2 18:31:15 EST 2003

Aldo Clerici wrote:

> In using GRASS under cygwin I'm having some trouble with the keyboard
> setting.
> I have an italian keyboard that run well under Windows xp and cygwin, but
> when I enter GRASS in Xfree86, the keyboard change (probably in US layout).
> Any suggestion?

Normally, this would be set via the XF86Config file; however, the last
time I checked, Cygwin's X server doesn't use a config file.

You can use the xmodmap utility to reconfigure the keyboard.
Typically, you would put the necessary xmodmap directives into the
file ~/.Xmodmap; the default xinitrc file (/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc)
will run xmodmap on this file if it exists.

E.g. for a UK keyboard, I used the following ~/.Xmodmap file:

	keycode 11 = 2 quotedbl
	keycode 12 = 3 sterling
	keycode 48 = apostrophe at
	keycode 51 = numbersign asciitilde
	keycode 94 = backslash bar

You can use the "xev" program to discover the keycodes (numbers) and
the keysyms (names).