[GRASSLIST:5978] a little help for a new user?

Matt Hoek hoekm at rpi.edu
Tue Apr 8 21:15:29 EDT 2003

Hello all,

I just downloaded the spearfish data set from
http://grass.baylor.edu/sampledata/spearfish_grass5data.tar.gz, and I
have a few questions.  When I start up GRASS (on Mac OS X), I'm asked
for my location, mapset, and database.  I understand GRASS will always
ask me for this information, but I don't understand how to complete
these fields.

So, if I unzip the download and create the directory
/home/grass/spearfish, would it make sense to choose:

LOCATION: spearfish
MAPSET:   ??? <not sure what goes here>
DATABASE: /home/grass/spearfish

Does it even make sense to create this directory?  I guess I'm just
confused on how to organize myself as I use new data sets.  I
appreciate any help or suggestions that are out there.  Thanks a lot!