[GRASSLIST:5980] thanks for the help -- here's one more question

Matt Hoek hoekm at rpi.edu
Tue Apr 8 22:43:17 EDT 2003

First, thank you to those who replied so quickly.  I'm sorry for
posting such basic questions, but I'd like to understand what I'm doing
as I work.  Here are the contents of the WIND file in
spearfish/PERMANENT:

==========
proj:       1
zone:       13
north:      4928010
south:      4913700
east:       609000
west:       589980
cols:       634
rows:       477
e-w resol:  30
n-s resol:  30
==========

Then, if I tell GRASS I do want to create location <spearfish>, I see
this:

==========
To create a new LOCATION, you will need the following information:

1. The coordinate system for the database
         x,y (for imagery and other unreferenced data)
         Latitude-Longitude
         UTM
         Other Projection
2. The zone for the UTM database
    and all the necessary parameters for projections other than
    Latitude-Longitude, x,y, and UTM
3. The coordinates of the area to become the default region
    and the grid resolution of this region
4. A short, one-line description or title for the location

Do you have all this information for location <spearfish> ? (y/n)

I see the zone and the coordinates, but how do I determine what
coordinate system to use? (x,y or Lat-Long or UTM or Other?)

Okay, thank you again for your help.  I really do appreciate it.

Take care,