[GRASSLIST:6072] Re: Printing to a HP DesignJet plotter?

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Thu Apr 17 05:35:21 EDT 2003

On Thursday 17 April 2003 11:18 am, Stephan Eickschen wrote:
> Hamish,
>
> > I was wondering if anyone was using GRASS with a HP DesignJet plotter or
> > other HPGL device?
> >
> > There seemed to be talk of HPGL output in some pages I found from the
> > old days (CERL), but nothing recent.
> >
> > A PostScript to HPGL/2 converter might do the trick if I could find one.
> > I'm trying to stay away from the rasterizing Gimp printer drivers, but
> > maybe the GRASS PNG driver with a very large width and height (and file
> > size) will be the only way.
>
> A google search for 'postscript ghostscript hpgl' brought me to
> pstoedit
> 	http://www.pstoedit.net/pstoedit
> which claims to be able to convert ps file to hpgl. I did not test it
> myself...

I did. Yes I tried everything, and I found that it is impossible
to print PS on HPGL plotter from Linux with free SW only
(in reasonable quality and time).
The best solution, I think, is to buy PS card for your plotter,
if possible. You can also print PDF from Acrobat Reader on Windows.
(Problems with scale)

Radim