[GRASSLIST:6085] Re: installing grass5.1 additional to grass5.0

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Fri Apr 18 05:09:11 EDT 2003

On Thursday 17 April 2003 02:19 pm, Michaela Kinberger wrote:
> is it possible to install and use both versions ofgrass?

Yes.

> What is neccessary to install the grass5.1 binaries?

Nothing more than something like grass51-14_04_2003-i686-pc-linux-gnu-bin.tar.gz
and grass51-14_04_2003-i686-pc-linux-gnu-install.sh

These builds do not contain all GRASS modules, just modules upgraded to 5.1.
List of modules is here:
http://grass.itc.it/grass51/manuals/html51_user/index.html

> i'm working with grass5.0 and running some batchjobs vi crontabs, so i
> dont want to destroy me working version of grass or any of my locations
> but i want to tra the new features of grass5.1.

Should not be problem, the only shared file is 'WIND' for current
region, so do not run 5.1 on the same mapset your batchjobs are running.

> so, did anybody install both versions of graa and running them at the
> same time?

Yes.

Radim