[GRASSLIST:6112] Re: Trouble getting grass started

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Apr 23 00:24:07 EDT 2003

Mike Flanigan wrote:

> My last message ("Trouble in Portland") was a little vague.  Here's a
> thorough transcription of my input and the resulting screen messages:
>
> At an intial cygwin command prompt, I enter grass5, which is met with a
> quick response of:
>
> starting grass
> clear: not found

That should be harmless. However, my Cygwin installation (which hasn't
been updated, or even used, in about a year) has a "clear" command
(it's in its own package).

> and then I enter the text screen asking for location, mapset, and
> database.  I think I entered good information in a previous launch
> attempt, so I hit <ESC><ENTER> as directed and get to a "welcome to
> grass" screen that prompts me to enter "tcltkgrass&," which I do.  I
> then get the following stream of messages:
>
> [1] 1532 (or some other number)
>
> GRASS:~> Application initialization failed: no display name and no
> $DISPLAY environment variable

You need an X server in order to use tcltkgrass or NVIZ. XFree86 is
available for Cygwin, although the last time that I tried it was
definitely "beta" quality.

I'm not sure that tcltkgrass is really worth the effort of installing
XFree86. Unless you want to use NVIZ (in which case, and X server is
necessary), you may as well stick to the command-line interface.