[GRASSLIST:6126] Re: Return values in GRASS API?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Apr 24 04:37:25 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 05:13:37AM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Shin, Daehyok wrote:
>
> > While reading the programmer's manual for GRASS 5.x,
> > I had a difficulty to find the exact meaning of the returned value from each
> > function.
[...]
> > Did I miss an important mention about the topic in the manual?
>
> Probably not; the programmer's manual is far from complete.
>
> More generally, don't believe what you read in the manual. If someone
> changes the code, most of the time they won't bother to update the
> manual.
>
> The programmer's manual can be useful to get a general overview, but
> if you need a definite answer to a specific question, look at the
> source code.

In GRASS 5.1 we have started to use 'doxygen' and to keep the docs
inside the source code (so as close as possible). 'doxygen'
(www.doxygen.org) creates HTML and PDF (and ..) docs from the source
code.
The GRASS 5.1 programmer's manual is generated from the source code
each saturday (http://grass.itc.it/grass51/manuals/).

The next years we'll probably move most of the docs into the source code,
but that's a demanding job (volunteers needed)...

Markus Neteler