[GRASSLIST:6151] v.out.mif - export to MapInfo MIF?

Roger Dickinson jrd5 at macunlimited.net
Tue Apr 29 08:35:15 EDT 2003

I am considering using GRASS (Mac OS X 10.2.4) alongside MapInfo for Power
Mac but I am not clear as to whether the GRASS export command for MapInfo
MIF, v.out.mif, actually works in 5.0.0 or not.

It is mentioned in some, but not all, command listings and documentation
and it is not included among the export formats for vector data in chapter
6 of Neteler and Mitasova's book. It is listed in the command summary in
appendix A of this book but MIF does not appear in the supported vector
data format listing in appendix B. (The latter appendix doesn't even list
MapInfo MIF as a supported import format, despite the fact that importing
such files - lines only? - is described in chapter 6.)

Can somebody clear up this confusion please? I would also be grateful for
any information about limitations or problems when importing from or
exporting to MIF.

Thanks in advance.

Roger Dickinson