[GRASSLIST:6157] Re: Problem with install GRASS

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Apr 30 23:35:33 EDT 2003

André Vinícius dos Santos wrote:

> I have problems in installation of GRASS on Conectiva Linux 8.0
> (brazilian distribution based on Red Hat Linux).
> When I use command "rpm -ivh grass-5.0.0-1.i386.rpm" then I have a
> problem of dependence.
> Grass can´t be installed because there aren´t "libgd.so.1.8"
> however, the library is installed in my linux.

Maybe the RPM database doesn't know that libgd.so.1.8 is installed.
Perhaps it wasn't installed from an RPM, or the RPM specifies a
different name. E.g. for the "gd" RPM from RedHat 6.2:

	$ rpm -q --provides gd
	libgd.so.1
	libgd.so.1(GCC.INTERNAL)
	gd = 1.3-6

	$ rpm -ql gd
	/usr/doc/gd-1.3
	/usr/doc/gd-1.3/index.html
	/usr/doc/gd-1.3/readme.txt
	/usr/lib/libgd.so.1.2

> If I install Grass using "-nodeps", would I have problems ? Somebody
> would have another option?

Use "-nodeps".

Note that the GD library is only used by the PNG driver; even if your
GD library isn't compatible, the rest of GRASS will still work.