[GRASSLIST:891] Re: Contracted Grass support?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sun Aug 3 07:51:40 EDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 10:22:41AM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > If your goal is good looking maps,
> > many cartographers prefer to do the map development and analysis
> > with GRASS and produce vector output formats which are then
> > processed with more general Free Software graphic applications.
> >
> > Thus depending on your goals using a software chain like GRASS -> Sketch
> > or GRASS -> Thuban -> Sketch can produce nicer maps for printing.
> > If you need nice raster maps for onscreen display, UNM Mapserver
> > might also be a possible component of this chain.
>
> Although this doesn't address the problem of importing the shapefiles
> well.

True.

> I feel the kind of solution the original poster was looking for
> would be something based around GRASS 5.7.x (previously 5.1), involving
> some kind of wrapper script for v.in.ogr specifically for shapefiles,
> possibly improvements to v.in.ogr and to ps.map and maybe some kind of
> v.to.rast for 5.7.x that uses special vector attributes (possibly created
> by the modified v.in.ogr / script) to determine how it creates the raster
> layer.

We can't tell what the priorities of the original poster are
lacking more information. I'd welcome your interpretation very much.
On the other hand, if he his very much goal driven
a combination of Free Software GIS products might help him
reach hist goals faster, subsequently also indirectly helping GRASS.

Taking along term perspective I'm maintaining a vision
where Free Software components work together nicely
and have their strength on their main task
bringing us the building blocks to do geographic information processes
in many powerful combination. I also believe that the synergies
the FreeGIS proejct has created already let to many connections
between the existing Free Software projects.