[GRASSLIST:938] Surfer Binary Grids and r.in.bin

David Orme d.orme at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Aug 11 07:33:00 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to import binary Surfer (6.x) files and I've got a problem
with the import through r.in.bin

The grid values in the binary file are byte reversed, signed, 32 bit
floats following IEEE-754. If I import the data section of the file
(ignoring the header) using:

r.in.bin -sbf bytes=4 input=file output=test ....

the file imports without problem and r.info for the resulting map shows
the expected min and max for the file (from cellmisc/test/r_range).
r.report however shows '*' for all cells. The range of values is from
approximately -5 to 90, although the 'no data' value is a very large
float (1.7014100091878280e+38).

Any suggestions as to what is going wrong?

Thanks,
David