[GRASSLIST:977] Re: gdal lib installation problem

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Aug 20 10:10:58 EDT 2003

Uttam Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>    I have grass5.0.0 on my Linux system. I want to import .hdf file for
> which I need to use r.in.gdal file. I have downloaded the
> "libgdal115-linux-grass.tar.gz - GDAL 1.1.5 for Linux". I have copied it
> in the $GISBASE/lib. Still it is not working. Can anybodt tell me how to
> install it and where to install it step by step.Thanks.

Uttam,

libgdal115 is getting pretty ancient now and may not work with GRASS anymore,
I am not sure, but for sure it does not include the hdf support. I would
suggest you build and install GDAL from a recent release.  You will to
investigate building with HDF support which is described briefly on the
building page:

   http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/gdal_building.html

For those building GRASS binary distributions I would encourage you to
build in a broad a set of optional GDAL formats as possible, including
stuff like hdf, jpeg2000 (via jasper) and so forth.

Best regards,