[GRASSLIST:979] text labels

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 03:41:00 EDT 2003

Hi - anyone know of a way to get 8-bit ascii characters to display in a
GRASS monitor? I'm trying to resist the urge to use the GIMP to paste
them in.

I'm trying to display a math symbol, but same question goes for accented
letters and other internationalisms.

d.font does greek symbols, but you can't mix it with Western letters.
(show.fonts.sh is useful)

I've tried the following without much luck:

d.text   (prints a blank space; curiously ^ becomes an up arrow)[*]
d.text.freetype  (I couldn't get it to actually display anything)[*]
d.label  (gets stuck in a loop after placement)
d.labels (seg faults after placement)

d.title | d.text (giant default font)

[*] would be nice to have an at=x,y option (as % of screen size)

I'd guess d.text.freetype would be the way, but it just exits after a
Click in interactive mode or after displaying the font information in
east_north= mode. ?

Maybe this pile of semi & non-functional programs should be combined in
to one or two useful versions?  And anti-aliased rendering from a LaTeX
engine would sure be nice too...  :)

any hints?

thanks,
Hamish