[GRASSLIST:1018] Re: gdal lib installation problem

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Aug 25 09:44:24 EDT 2003

Radim Blazek wrote:
> Because of GPL, it is impossible to distribute GRASS binaries with
> support for JPEG2000, DWG and other formats, even if libraries for
> those formats are available with licenses which allow such distribution,
> but GPL does not.
> I don't see any reason to reduce GRASS usability this way (i.e. use GPL)
> except FSF ideology.

Radim,

As I understand it we can distribute GRASS with a GPL compatible build
of GDAL (ie. no GPL incompatible drivers), and then offer for download
another non-GPL compatible version of GDAL with some extended drivers that
could be installed over the existing version of GDAL for those willing
to compromise their freedom to some extent, is that right?  Users who
do not redistributed GPLed software are allowed to mix in non-GPL
components.

While having two distribute a GPL grass, and a non-GPL extention module
is inconvenient (for us and the end user) it does make it very clear to
the end user what they do and don't have full freedom to modify.

Unfortunately (or not depending on your opinion), it makes it very hard
to write GRASS modules that directly depend on non-GPL components, even
if they would be strictly add-ons.

I do however appreciate the importance of not making the basic use of
GRASS depend on non-free components.

In summary, I think it we can work within the requirements of the GPL while
still offering users that want it extra non-free add-ons for improved
file import/export capabilities.

Best regards,