[GRASSLIST:1031] Re: srtm

Gustavo Alcides Concheiro Perez gacp at d-konstruktors.org
Tue Aug 26 17:56:02 EDT 2003

Ian Macmillan escribió:

> I have downloaded some SRTM data from the USGS web site, and it so happens that
> my data is near the coast.  My trouble is that SRTM actually records some
> anomalous data out in the oceans.  I have bathymetry data that i would like to
> view along with topography, but the ocean data is a bit difficult to get rid of
> from the SRTM.  My thought is that I might be able to take the coast lines
> generated from GMT, import those into GRASS, and then somehow mask out all data
> from the SRTM that lies outside of those coastlines.

I never got to do it because of a major hardware failure and other more
urgent commitments, but you came out with my very plan.  Another thing I
planned to do was to `mend' the STRM holes both with mapcalc(?) using
adjacent STRM data and GLOBE data to fill the holes.

What bathymetry data are you using?  My plan was to use ETOPO2.  [I'd
already patched GLOBE on top of ETOPO2 for a decent global DEM.]

Problem I found was---if I got this right---that GMT's shorelines don't
get imported as closed polygons so I could not export them as a raster
mask, and also that I couldn't get rid of the inland water bodies.

Please let me know how it goes for you.

Best,

-Gustavo