[GRASSLIST:1926] Re: Export Raster

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Dec 1 14:12:16 EST 2003

Daniel Victoria wrote:

> I need to remove some grass rasters from my HD since
> it's almost filled up, but I don't want to loose the
> files. What would be the best way to do this? Is there
> such a command like export, so I can do a safe backup
> of the files? Should I use r.out.ascii, r.out.bin? Or
> just copy the entire directory?

Backing-up an entire mapset is simple enough; just use tar/zip/etc on
the mapset directory. Similarly for entire locations.

Backing-up individual maps is a bit more involved; however, all files
pertaining to a given map have the same name as the map, except for
those in the cell_misc directory, which reside in a subdirectory with
the same name as the map. In both cases, the file/directory in
question will exist in a subdirectory of the mapset directory. So you
could use e.g.:

	tar cf <mapname>.tar */<mapname>

Using r.out.* will discard the category labels, colour table, history
etc, so it isn't a particularly good mechanism for creating backups.