[GRASSLIST:1941] Re: Export Raster

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 17:17:17 EST 2003

> But imagine this, you have 300 rasters and want to
> erase half, but keep a backup. Wouldn't it be
> easier/better to have a way to backup just those
> rasters and not the entire dataset? Then, if later on,
> I want to restore just 10 of those 150 backup rasters,
> It would be very easy o do.

You could create a new mapset, then use
 g.copy rast="$oldmap"@oldlocation,"$oldmap"

[maybe feed with cropped output from g.mlist]

then just tar.gzip up the new mapset and the PERMANENT directory to save
the projection info (assuming it isn't full of maps).

This problem is cleared up for vectors in 5.7, hopefully for rasters
when they get their re-write one day.

good luck,
Hamish