[GRASSLIST:1953] Re: how install gdal1.1.9

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 19:25:25 EST 2003

> I have grass57, redhat 8 and I want install gdal 1.1.9
> to read the gml file with the exerces inluded in.
> please can you give me the steps to build gdal 1.1.9.

You might be better off compiling from CVS,

to download and install gdal:
  % export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous at cvs.remotesensing.org:/cvsroot
  % cvs login
  Password: anonymous
  % cvs checkout gdal

  % cd gdal
  % ./configure
  % make
  % su
  Password: ********
  # make install
  # exit

(% means as user, # means as root)

Then try running 'gdalinfo --formats' to check setup.

If you haven't installed libraries to /usr/local before, you should edit
your /etc/ld.so.conf file to include /usr/local/lib, and then as root
run '/sbin/ldconfig'.

You'd then need to recompile GRASS 5.7 using --with-gdal. As long as you
don't install it anywhere weird, you shouldn't need to use
--with-gdal=/path/to/gdal-config.

good luck,
Hamish