[GRASSLIST:2087] Re: Cygwin Tcl/Tk

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Dec 18 01:52:01 EST 2003

Richard Greenwood wrote:

> Are you using the GRASS specific Tcl/Tk from:
> http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/wingrass_xserver/
> or Cygwin Tcl/Tk? I think the GRASS specific Tcl/Tk is required.

Oh, there isn't anything GRASS-specific about the xtcltk package on
the GRASS site. It's just the stock Tcl/Tk source code, compiled on
Cygwin for Unix. It should be capable of running anything which was
written for the Unix version of Tcl/Tk.

Unlike Cygwin's Tcl/Tk package, which is some form of bastardised
hybrid of the Unix and Windows versions of Tcl/Tk, and which isn't
compatible with either the Unix or Windows versions of Tcl/Tk. It's
only useful if you're willing to write code specifically for the
Cygwin version of Tcl/Tk.

This was probably done so that Cygwin Tcl/Tk programs will
interoperate reasonably with native Windows programs. However,
tcltkgrass isn't a Cygwin Tcl/Tk program, it's a Unix Tcl/Tk program.

BTW, if the Unix-specific features were removed from tcltkgrass, you
would probably be able to just use the native Windows version of
Tcl/Tk rather than the Cygwin version.