[GRASSLIST:2098] LD_LIBRARY_PATH error with gdal

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 19 14:59:47 EST 2003

I'm trying to use r.in.gdal under redhat Linux, GRASS 5.0.2 and I get
the following error:

GBBridgeInitialize() failed to find an suitable GDAL .DLL/.so file.
The following filenames were searched for:
  o libgdal.1.1.so
  o gdal.1.0.so
  o gdal.so.1.0
  o libgdal.so.1

The following locations were searched:
  o /awips/grass/lib
  o System default locations.

System default locations may be influenced by:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH =
/awips/grass/lib:/usr/local/motif/lib:/opt/informix/lib/esql:\
/opt/informix/lib:/awips/hydroapps/lx/gcc_shlibs
ERROR: Unable to initialize GDAL bridge (check libgdal
       installation/LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable).

the gdal library, libgdal.1.1.so, is installed in $GISBASE/lib, which is
/awips/grass/lib.

Any suggestions? I installed the binary release. Otherwise, all other
commands that I have used run fine.

Regards,
Tom

--