[GRASSLIST:5552] Re: d.what.vect performance problem

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Fri Feb 14 11:16:26 EST 2003

On Friday 14 February 2003 01:54 am, Brent Wood wrote:
> I have a sites map with 500,000 points. I have converted it to a vector
> map. d.what.sites retrieves information about the nearest point pretty
> much instantaneously.
>
> d.what.vector takes several minutes before it is able to even respond.
>
> Is there any way that I can improve the performance of a d.what.vector
> query on a map with a large number of features?
>
> Is there a way of structuring the data to help speed things up?

The same problem as with v.support - missing spatial index.
You could try 5.1, it is loading vector a bit longer (400000lines ~4s)
but then you get the line immediately. Better to put attributes
to real RDBMS, dbf is not sufficient for such large data sets.

Radim

PS: Warning: 5.1 is development version!