[GRASSLIST:5583] Re: r.in.hdf

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Feb 17 08:38:27 EST 2003

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 03:45:27PM +0900, nishida at bres.tsukuba.ac.jp wrote:
> Dear GRASS users:
>
> I would like to ask your help.
> I have troubles using r.in.hdf in GRASS5.0.1 and GRASS4.3
> on Linux on my intel-PC.
>
> On GRASS5.0.1 I found r.in.hdf had not been installed,
> hence I tried to install it by myself by running "# gmake5"
> under ~/grass5.0.1/src.garden/grass.hdf/ but I came up with
> some error messages like this:
>
>   No rule to make target "-lgis" which is necessary for
>   ~/grass5.0.1/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/etc/bin/cmd/r.in.hdf.
>   Stopped.
>
> (To tell the truth, this may not be very accurate because I
> translated it from the original error message in Japanese
> in my Linux system).

Yes, the r.in.hdf is not compiled as it is not yet completely
updated. It works more or less, but I have no time to finish it.

The recommendation is to use r.in.gdal instead. GDAL supports
HDF from the current official release onwards.

> On GRASS4.3, I downloaded a precompiled binary and found that
> r.in.hdf was one of default commands already compiled in the
> binary. I tried to use it for two HDF files: a SPOT-Vegetation
> radiometric data as well as MODIS data (MOD02QKM), but in both
> case, I came up with messages as follows and obtained no data in
> raster data lists at g.list.

The old r.in.hdf from GRASS4.3 is unable to read recent HDF files.

>   Large file - reading row by row.
>   Writing GRASS output file: hdf.rast01
>   WARNING: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for North
>
> I know the HDF format of MODIS is not pure HDF but HDF-EOS and
> I guessed this "dialect" in HDF might caused this problem, but
> I do not know any possible problems with SPOT-Vegetation.

To process MODIS data with GRASS, you may consider to use the
MODIS reprojection tool instead of r.in.gdal as you have to
transform the ISIN projected MODIS data to something useful.
ISIN is not supported (yet) by GRASS/PROJ4 or most other GIS
systems.

To process MODIS data with GRASS, see for example:
 http://mpa.itc.it/rs/
(links to MRT etc. are on that page)

Kind regards

 Markus Neteler