[GRASSLIST:5678] Re: real time gps tracking

H Bowman hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 26 19:02:59 EST 2003

> I wonder if there is a module implemented in GRASS to see the actual
> position of a GPS connected to a notebook.  Can somebody tell me if
> there is a possibility to do real time tracking and with which module?

Try:
gpsman - A GPS manager
gpsdrive - Car navigation system.
gpstrans - communicate with a Garmin Global Positioning System receiver
xastir - X Amateur Station Tracking and Information Reporting

for GRASS import:
s.in.garmin.sh
v.in.garmin.sh
(both require gpstrans)

You might be able to make a loop downloading the track and replacing the
vector file, but this would be terribly inefficient- it's a pity you
can't flush the track line with gpstrans. But parsing NMEA statements
realtime is the way to go, anyhow.

So try gpsman or gpsdrive instead, maybe with an exported raster map as
the backdrop.