[GRASSLIST:5330] Re: Core dump on Winkle Triple projection

cheg01 at attbi.com cheg01 at attbi.com
Sun Jan 19 04:14:35 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glynn Clements" <glynn.clements at virgin.net>
To: <cheg01 at attbi.com>
Cc: <grasslist at baylor.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 2:30 AM
Subject: [GRASSLIST:5243] Re: Core dump on Winkle Triple projection

> cheg01 at attbi.com wrote:
>
> > When projecting lat/lon elevation data to Winkle Triple I get an
instant
> > core dump. Is this projection routine known to work?
>
> The Winkel Tripel projection doesn't have a defined inverse
> projection, so you can't use it with r.proj. Instead, you would have
> to convert the data to a sites map, project that with s.proj, then
> convert it back to a raster with s.surf.rst.
>
> --
> Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net>

The process is failing on the froward projection, from Lat/Lon to Winkel
Triple. It should be averaging the coordinates from the "eqc" Cylindrical
Equal Area (Plate Carree) and the Aitoff projections. I tested the input
files on the Robinson projection and they worked fine. The eqc projection
by itself  works but the Aitoff projection is failing. gdb seems to show
garbage in the arguments to G_remove. I am running Grass 5.0.0pre3. Here is
the gdb output:

Mapset <PERMANENT> in Location <globe_winkel>
GRASS-GRID > gdb r.proj
(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/local/grass5/bin/r.proj

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
0xef7829c0 in ?? ()
(gdb) c
Continuing.

OPTION:   input raster map
     key: input
required: YES
enter option > b10g

You have chosen:
  input=b10g
Is this correct? (y/n) [y]

OPTION:   location of input map
     key: location
required: YES
enter option > globe

You have chosen:
  location=globe
Is this correct? (y/n) [y]

OPTION:   mapset of input map
     key: mapset
required: NO
enter option > PERMANENT

You have chosen:
  mapset=PERMANENT
Is this correct? (y/n) [y]

OPTION:   path to GRASS database of input location
     key: dbase
required: NO
enter option >

OPTION:   output raster map
     key: output
required: NO
enter option >

FLAG: Set the following flag?
    List raster files in input location and exit?(y/n) [n]

0x0 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0 in ?? ()
#1  0x1ade4 in G_suppress_masking () at auto_mask.c:65
#2  0x1a17c in G_remove (element=0xefffec00 "?`", name=0xefffebf8 "?`")
    at remove.c:43
#3  0x184fc in G_quant_perform_f (q=0xefffecf8, fcell=0xefffed40,
    cell=0xefffed88, n=-268440064) at quant.c:859
#4  0x17f8c in G_quant_reverse_rule_order (q=0xefffecf8) at quant.c:672
(gdb)