[GRASSLIST:5353] newbie category question

Brent Wood b.wood at niwa.co.nz
Wed Jan 22 21:37:27 EST 2003

I've just started to use GRASS (in conjunction with Postgres.

I have a feeling I'll be asking a few questions here!

Running GRASS v5 on Mandrake Linux v9, Postgres v7.3. I have used other
GIS packages in the past, but am looking at migrating to GRASS.

I have a PG table with several attributes. I extract the XY (long lat) &
key values & import as a sites map. (Is there a way of using the db table
as a sites map directly in v5? I'm aware 5.1 will be different)

When I convert the sites map to a vector, I want to use the db key value
from the sites map as the category to link the vectors back to the
database records for queries.

The vector map, however, always retains the numeric sites identifier,
even with a string,1 parameter which I had thought would force it to use
the string label instead.

The other area some pointers would be useful is how best to import simple
line data from Postgres (start & finish points) into a GRASS vector map
as lines, with the Postgres key as the category label.

Thanks,

Brent Wood