[GRASSLIST:5370] NVIZ and vectors -- bug?

Nick Cahill ndcahill at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 24 15:24:55 EST 2003

Dear all,

I posted a while ago about NVIZ making "spiky" vectors when draping
over a surface. Hamish Bowman suggested that it might be simply because
I'm draping a circle over an irregular surface, so that seen from the
side it is distorted, but I don't think that's it. I remain baffled by
this behavior, and wonder if someone might see what the problem is by
looking at some images. I've posted what I'm trying to do at:

http://www.wisc.edu/arth/sardis/nviz.spiky.jpg

There should be no linear features on this -- only circles. The linear
"spikes" radiating out from the circles are just not there in the data,
but are a bug or something in nviz.

I think the issue has to do with resolution of the DEM vs. length of
vector. I'm using a 90 meter DEM, draping over that a 30 meter
resolution TM image, and then draping vectors which consist of
"circles" -- i.e. 360 short lines in a circle. The mean diameter of the
circles is about 43 meters, so the lines are much shorter than the cell
size of the DEM. I'm setting the region resolution to 90 before running
NVIZ. When I set the polygon resolution within NVIZ to 1 or 2 for a
high-res image, the vectors get all spiked out. When I set the polygon
resolution to something much higher, however, like 100 or 500, the
vectors are drawn correctly as circles.

These are illustrated here:

polygon resolution 2: http://www.wisc.edu/arth/sardis/test.2res.jpg
polygon resolution 5: http://www.wisc.edu/arth/sardis/test.5res.jpg
polygon resolution 100: http://www.wisc.edu/arth/sardis/test.100res.jpg

My temporary solution was to draw the image twice, once with the dem
and satellite overlay, and then a second time with the polygon
resolution at 500 and drawing only the vectors, and then combining the
two images in photoshop. This isn't a  perfect, solution, though,
because the vectors drawn with the high polygon resolution are actually
drawn in different places - apparently changing the polygon resolution
changes the effective surface that the vectors are draped on, so they
appear sometimes above and sometimes below where they were in the
high-res rendition, so the circles end up wrongly placed. I overlaid
two images made at 2 and 500 resolution to check out what was happening
here -- the blue vectors are at 500, the red at 2

http://www.wisc.edu/arth/sardis/ vectors.2and500.jpg

This doesn't happen with all data -- I have another, 2 meter DEM of a
smaller area, and draping even very detailed vectors over that causes
no problem. So I'm bamboozled. Does anyone have any idea of how to
achieve this?

I did try  creating a raster from the vector map, overlaying that over
the TM image, and then simply draping that over the DEM. The results
just aren't as clean, though, and if possible I'd like to do it with a
vector overlay. However, if there's some unfixable bug in NVIZ or some
factor I'm forgetting, I'll try it the other way.

I'm running GRASS 5.0 on Mac OSX.

many thanks,

Nick Cahill
Dept. of Art History