[GRASSLIST:5403] RE: How to choose initial parameters?

Yann Chemin y_chemin at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 08:37:15 EST 2003

Hi there,

In the same line of thinking, it would change “the
World of Grass Newbies” if – by default – Grass would
be installed with a first typical database, simple,
small (very small even!). So that the newbie ‘alpha’
could just install, and then start discovering the
wonders of Open Source GIS

Example, a vector file of World continents at
1:xMillion scale, no attribute, simple wgs84 lat/lon.

How big to add, how much relief to all newbies?

If I was to start some training course on Open source
RS and GIS software in the next two years, I would
appreciate telling students that GRASS is simple to
install, just double-click the RPM file, open the
software, visualize the (i.e.) World Vector and here
you are!

Maybe this could be a good wish to add to the
wish-list?

Yann Chemin
Space Technology Application Research Program
Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand