[GRASSLIST:630] Re: OpenOSX problem

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun Jul 6 04:50:01 EDT 2003

gis1212 at comcast.net wrote:

> Also note that the former Fink project leader alleged that OpenOSX
> did not give proper credit regarding the use of Fink with GIMP for
> Mac OS X and was possibly not complying with the GPL
> (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html):
> http://fink.sourceforge.net/pr/openosx.php

IIRC, there never was an actual claim of GPL violation; that was just
an inaccurate Slashdot headline. The main complaint seemed to be that
the Fink maintainer felt that he was entitled to an acknowledgement of
his efforts.

> Please keep in mind that OpenOSX has made contributions to GRASS GIS
> which resulted in GRASS being able to run on Mac OS X. Without them
> GRASS Mac OS X binaries might not be available.

However, it would be nice if they made an effort to keep the GRASS
developers in the loop. The OpenOSX version of GRASS includes changes
which the GRASS developers were never told about. We only figured out
that changes had been made as a result of conversations with end users
on the mailing lists.