[GRASSLIST:659] Drive time analysis in GRASS?

Brian McEntire brianm at fsg1.nws.noaa.gov
Tue Jul 8 19:41:32 EDT 2003

Hello folks,
  I am interested in using GRASS/GIS to draw 5 minute driving time or
driving distance contour lines around a point. I believe a good amount of
road information is available in either of these sources:

  1) National Highway Planning Network - "(NHPN) is a 1:100,000 scale
network database that contains line features representing just over
450,000 miles of current and planned highways in the U.S. The NHPN
consists of interstates, principal arterials, and rural minor arterials."
  [The file is available in ARC/INFO Interchange (.e00) format.]

  or 2) US Censes TIGER/Line 2k maps from the US Census

Does anyone know if a GRASS module has already been developed to
implement this? Or if implementing this in GRASS is a good idea to begin
with? I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but I haven't turned up any
open source or low cost applications that can do this.

Thanks for any ideas!
  Brian