[GRASSLIST:731] Re: ps.map colortable

H Bowman hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 22:24:46 EDT 2003

> I'm creating some ps.maps for display and aparently
> the colors on the colortable are faded, compared to
> the colors on the map.

That may be one of two things:

1) poor color matching between your printer and your monitor. Color
combinations that look terrible on the monitor often look great on the
printer and vice versa.

2) ps.map's color legends are slightly transparent, when you place them
over a colored part of the map, the colors might be slightly polluted.
I'm not sure if this happens in a printed hard copy (doesn't seem to be
noticeable), or only when you view it with an on-screen viewer (gv). Try
zooming way in with gv with a legend placed over an uneven background to
see what I mean.

> I used the options
> rast <rast name>
> colortable
>   where 6.8 1
>   width 0.5
>   height 10
>   cols 1
>   color black

don't forget the 'end'

> Also, I still haven't figured out yet what those
> numbers means, are they in inches?

They are in inches from the corner of the page. (pick one ;)

hint: PostScript units are 1/72 of an inch. Use the x,y mouse position
from GhostView (gv) and a hand calculator to take the trial and error
out of object placement. You may need to use (max_y - y)/72 to get
the right number.

factoid: That makes a font size of "10" have a height of 10/72 of an
inch. If you want 1 inch tall text on the printed page, use a font size
of 72.

Hamish