[GRASSLIST:748] Re: Vector to Raster Lakes

H Bowman hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 08:37:05 EDT 2003

>> I am now trying to get the lakes onto the map.  I have a vector file.
v.line2area
d.vect.area fill=blue

> Will that also work for NVIZ?

No. It will display as a border only. (at least in 5.0.2's NVIZ)

After it is a (labeled) vector area, use v.to.rast to make it a filled
raster area, then display that surface in NVIZ.

Another approach I use for coastlines is to make a new constant surface
at height=0, color it blue, set transparency to ~ 110, and draw that
surface over the elevation map. This makes a pretty good
semi-transparent sea surface. This won't work properly for lakes of
course, but maybe if you overlay a basin filled surface with r.fill.dir you
could reproduce this effect.