[GRASSLIST:857] Re: Finding the track followed

Christoph Hoegl C.Hoegl at gmx.net
Tue Jul 29 14:03:59 EDT 2003

> Hi,
> We are tracking location/coordinates of cattle along with the time associated
> with each coordinate. The reading is taken every 5 minutes 24 hours a day.
> I will appreciate if someone could recommend the best way to render the “path
> followed” by the cattle in 24 hours on a raster map of the area where we are
> monitoring the cattle.
>
> Thanks,
> Ashu

"Best" is highly topic specific.

Are you interested in single individual movement or group movement?
Do you want information on the number of cattle traversing specific locations,
cattle density plots (for water planning) ...

A simple approach could be to have the 288 samples per cattle and day used as
elevation map using sites. You could create complete daytime coverage maps
using s.surf.*. Using s.territory might be interesting as well.

There are plenty of interesting methods to render your data.

regards,
Christoph