[GRASSLIST:875] Re: how to suppress shell output ???

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Jul 31 10:28:35 EDT 2003

Massimiliano Cannata wrote:

> How can I suppress shell std output using G_system()?
> maybe ...
> G_system("r.mapcalc >> temp.txt")
> .... but it doesn't seems to me to be enough just redirect it.

The above appends stdout to the file, but it leaves stderr untouched
(i.e. it's probably going to the terminal). Try:

	G_system("r.mapcalc >> temp.txt 2>&1");

There are many possibilities for setting up the standard descriptors;
they will be described in the manpage for the shell, e.g. bash.

Although, if you want portability, and have "ash" installed, refer to
the manpage for ash rather than the one for bash, as bash has many
extensions which don't work with other shells.