[GRASSLIST:288] Re: Source packages

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Jun 5 03:13:54 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 01:03:02PM -0400, R. Sean Fulton wrote:

> Is there a convention for naming GRASS source packages? I ask because
> I've been playing with building RPMS and DarwinPorts packages which
> assume the source package name and the extracted directory name will
> be the same. (e.g. they expect grass-5.0.2_src.tar.gz to extract to
> 'grass-5.0.2_src/' but it extracts to 'grass5.0.2/')
>
> That's an oversimplification, there are work-arounds but there seems
> to be a convention of APPNAME-VERION for the source directory.

Mea culpa - the *GRASS* naming "convention" was a sort of evolving
over the years.

> Has this issue ever come up? Are the maintainers aware of it? Do you
> think anyone cares?

Not yet :-) But I see no problem to update the scripts to follow
a well known naming convention. Let me know what's common and
I'll update the cronjobs.

> It's certainly nothing critical, I'm just curious.
No problem. If things can be made better, we should improve them.

Markus Neteler