[GRASSLIST:293] gui.tcl

Erika K. Crosse eyreka at mac.com
Thu Jun 5 15:54:09 EDT 2003

Hi everyone,

I'd like to ask for your indulgence at little here. A while back I
downloaded and installed the binaries for GRASS 5.0.2 on OS X.2.6.  I'm
now getting around to working with GRASS again but found tcltkgrass was
crashing as soon as I selected my location from the gui menu. I was
getting error message:
"scan [exec xwininfo -id [winfo id .w_g] | grep -i Corners] {%*s %d%d}
dx dy"
     (file "/usr/local/grass5/tcltkgrass/main/gui.tcl" line 1887)

I compared my old gui.tcl from GRASS 5.0.1 and found that equivalent
line was commented out and 2 other lines inserted to set dx and dy.
I've changed current gui.tcl to match but now find that the gui doesn't
launch automatically even to select location which I'm now forced to do
from the command line--not really a problem. Also, the configuration of
menu bar once I launch the gui is now horizontal rather than vertical
as it was in my 5.0.1 configuration.  This last also is not a biggy
except in that the new menu bar uses up more horizontal screen real
estate than I have--my monitor is only 1152X870.  Now my questions:
1) If this script only works with that line commented out what is its
purpose in being there at all.
  2) Can someone explain 'wm geometry .w_g 50X50+10+100' and 'set dx
100' (or 'set dy 100')--I'm assuming both relate to window size and
position.  Perhaps there is a reference that explains these (and other)
parameters?

    Erika C.