[GRASSLIST:300] Re: after 2 days trying..

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Jun 5 20:29:30 EDT 2003

stef wrote:

> After installing (linux binaries) grass on my rh8 box,
> during the initial run I get the following message:
>
> Sorry, no access to <<user1>>.
>
> Mapsets in location <spearfish>
> ----------------------
>    PERMANENT              user1
>
> note: you do not have access to any of these mapsets
> ----------------------
>
> Hit RETURN -->
>

> I have changed the permission bits in root and still I
> cannot get a run.

You have to own the mapset directory; having write permission isn't
sufficient.

> Additionally I cannot run the help commands ie d.rast
> help or g.manual d.rast  the system cannot see the
> rast pages.

You can only run the commands within a GRASS session, so you have to
get GRASS to start first.

The manual pages will probably be stored in a directory which isn't
visible to "man"; the default is typically /usr/local/grass5/man. To
get "man" to see the files, you can either edit man.config (typically
/etc/man.config) or set MANPATH in your shell startup scripts
(/etc/profile, ~/.bashrc etc).