[GRASSLIST:316] Re: Printing site descriptions

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun Jun 8 09:25:29 EDT 2003

Antonios Christofides wrote:

> Hi, I've managed to print each site's description with ps.map, but I'm
> having the following problems (I enclose a small jpg which shows them
> well):
>
> 1) The description is framed by a border with large width. Is it
>    possible to get rid of that border?

No.

> 2) The description has a white background. Is it possible to not have
>    background? (Or to have transparent background?)

No.

> 3) I can't print descriptions with Greek (iso-8859-7) characters. I
>    suspect I have to specify the correct font in the ps.map input
>    file, but I'm confused: do I have to specify a ghostscript font name
>    like those found in /usr/share/gs/X.XX/Fontmap.GS?

Yes. All PostScript implementations have the Greek alphabet in the
"Symbol" font, but that uses PostScript's non-standard SymbolEncoding,
so you would have to convert the text somehow.

You could probably configure Ghostscript to use an ISO-8859-7 font,
but printing to a PostScript printer (or even generating PostScript
files which others can read) would be more problematic.

> 4) Is there any way to specify the position of the description, so
>    that it does not interfere with other sites or map elements?

No.