[GRASSLIST:426] Re: vmap

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Jun 18 19:21:44 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 10:32:54AM +0200, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Ian Macmillan said:
> > Hi all, this seems like it must be an easy problem to solve, but I am
> > struggling with it.  I would like to use the Digital Chart of the World
> > data from NIMA (National Imagery and Mapping Agency).  However I am at a
> > loss as to how to import this data into GRASS.  I downloaded the North
> > America data from the NIMA website, but I get a folder that has lots of
> > subfiles, and I am not sure which ones to work with.

Recently I got the VMAP0 data converted with OGR (needs OGDI driver).

The files are SHAPE now which can be imported into GRASS.
A mapserver application is built on top of that:
http://mpa.itc.it/markus/mapserver/

See for conversion details:
http://intevation.de/pipermail/freegis-list/2003-June/001411.html

Untested: v.in.ogr of GRASS 5.1 should be able to read the VMAP data
          directly, if OGR-lib was compiled with OGDI.

Best regards

--
Markus Neteler     <neteler at itc.it>       http://mpa.itc.it
ITC-irst, Istituto per la Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica