[GRASSLIST:430] Re: Getting a file from Adobe Illustrator to GRASS

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Jun 19 11:21:07 EDT 2003

Kurt Springs said:
> Hi Folks,
>
> BTW, thanks for those who helped with my last problem.  I couldn't
> remember
> the file name.
>
> New challenge, and some of you will remember trying to help me with this
> some months ago.  I put it aside then because I had other things to do.
> No
> I am back.  I have contour lines I've drawn in Adobe Illustrator.  I want
> move them into GRASS as vectors so I can label the elevations and start
> using them.  This seems to elude me.
>
> I tried converting them into .dxf files, but GRASS can't seem to see it.

What do you mean by this ? What exactly is the procedure you're using and
what are the error messages, if any ?

> I've tried using Textwrangler to change the line breaks to UNIX.  I've
> even
> used the program Linebreak for this purpose.  I also tried using
> Textwrangler to do a hexdump and converted the file to ascii.

DXF should be ascii, no ?

> One thing I am considering is printing out the contours and trying to use
> v.digit to trace them.  Can I do this with out a digitizing tablet using
> an
> optical mouse?  I may have to get some transparent film and make a target
> tape on it.
>
> Can anyone thing of an easier way of doing it.

I suppose AI can export to raster formats (PNG, JPG, TIFF...), so you
could try that and import the result with r.in.gdal. Then you could either
transform the raster to vector (see
http://grass.itc.it/gdp/grass5tutor/HTML/c1452.html), or use the raster as
a backdrop in v.digit and digitize on screen.

Moritz