[GRASSLIST:447] Re: creating legend file for vector map

Keith J. Forbes kforbes at gmx.net
Fri Jun 20 12:05:38 EDT 2003

On Friday 20 June 2003 15:00, Keith J. Forbes wrote:
> KJ  Hi. I have imported using m.in.e00 e00 vector maps, and all the
> associated KJ  categories have been imported and are stored in the dig_cats
> directory. I KJ  would like to create a legend file (preferably have GRASS
> do this for me) so KJ  that each category can de displayed with a different
> color and an KJ  accompanying legend.
> KJ
> KJ  The only info I have found so far is that I would have to create this
> bt hand KJ  using the category files, which seems to be quite cumbersome.
> KJ
> KJ  I hope there is another way to do this, and would appreciate any help.
> Thanks KJ  in advance for your indulgence of a GRASS newbie.
> KJ
> KJ
> KJ

Well, I ended up doing this the hard way (by hand) by creating a legend file
(table like this without header row of course) to use with d.vect.area:

Cat. RGB
1  xxx xxx xxx
2 xxx xxy xxy
and so on

which worked fine after I got a RGB pallette from the web

Now, I would like to display a legend along with the colored map matching the
category labels to the colors.

Help!!!

Thanks.

--