[GRASSLIST:452] g.setproj problem

Ian Macmillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Fri Jun 20 19:48:55 EDT 2003

Hi all, I am trying to import a non georeferenced tif into a lat long location.
I received the standard error in this situation stating

WARNING: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for South

As suggested in GRASSLIST 6203, I want to change my lat long location into an xy
location using g.setproj, import the tif and set the boundaries, then reset
back to lat long.  Here is the problem.  When I run g.setproj, I never get a
chance to set the projection.  A typical interactive session looks like this:

GRASS 5.0.0 > g.setproj

WARNING!  A projection file
'/Users/gans/grass/sonoralatlong/PERMANENT/PROJ_INFO'
   already exists for this location

This file contains all the parameters for the location's projection:
Latitude-Longitude

Overriding this information implies that the old projection parameters
    were incorrect.  If you change the parameters, all existing data will be
    interpreted differently by the projection software.
    GRASS will not re-project your data automatically

Would you still like to change some of the parameters (y/n) [n] y
The current ellipsoid is clark66
Would you want to change ellipsoid parameter (y/n) [n]
The ellipse information is not changed
Do you want to specify a map datum for this location?(y/n) [n]

Projection information has been recorded for this location

What is going on?  Is there a way to import a tif into a lat long besides this
method?  I am running GRASS 5.0.0 v2 (OpenOSX) on mac 10.2.6.

Thanks,
ian