[GRASSLIST:477] Re: Getting a file from Adobe IllustratortoGRASS

John Gillette JGillette at rfmd.com
Mon Jun 23 16:24:03 EDT 2003

> From: Kurt Springs
> Hi John,
>
> Hear is the .dfx file.
>
> > Kurt,
> >
> > Can you send me the dxf file WITH the loop in it?
> >
> > I'd like to see why Grass can't import it.
> >
> > I will also import into a cad program to
> > make sure it is readable.
> >
> > John

Here's the problem. I can read the original file you
sent me using a cad program.  However, importing into grass
gives no layers found.  Looking at the dxf file and
then querying the object in the cad program, I found that the
lines are expressed as SPLINE.  The dxf input in Grass 5.0
doesn't have splines implemented in it.

BUT, when I selected all the lines in the cad program and
did an EXPLODE, they were changed into polylines. I WAS
able to import the polylines.

I did this quickly in an XY location and didn't worry about
geo-referencing but I would assume that it should be OK.
(The coordinates are small, though. Lower left=86.4,49.7
Upper right = 204.7,168.4 ???)

SO, get a cad program, import, explode, export dxf.

I use a free cad program I found on the web for
Windows.

I ended up with lines with no category information.
The closed loop in the upper right came in fine.
So I suppose you'll have to v.digit the file to put
category data on it, but still much easier than
redoing this by hand.

Georeferencing (if required) could be done
with v.transform maybe?

Let me know if you need more help.

John

[enclosed file contours2.dxf sent off list]