[GRASSLIST:490] Shipping data with GNU/Linux distributions

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jun 24 06:38:06 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 08:50:25PM +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > Also I did not find an integration of GRASS in the KDE menu
> > nor a default location so you could start doing something easily.

> how feasible is it to have a default location?

It is important for new users, that they have something
to start on. To create a location is a tedious task, especially
for a beginner.

> And how would it affect new locations?

I don't see why it would prevent using other locations
or creating additional ones.

> Would you suggest shipping the spearfish data?

To ship any data set would be an improvement.

> And how about integration with other data sets (I think I have at
> least 3 copies of the same data installed, some for grass, some for
> flightgear, some for GMT).

A laudable goal which will require some effort
to come up with standards and way to convert the data into the
same format. Of course any distribution would benefit,
if there are instructions on how to use these datasets.
The FreeGIS-CD for instance contains an example on how to import
a GLOBE data tile into GRASS.

	Bernhard