[GRASSLIST:505] Re: nviz: problem with opengl

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Jun 24 17:29:27 EDT 2003

Carlos Henrique Grohmann de Carvalho wrote:

> I have just moved from Conectiva linux to Slackware linux 9, and I with
> problems to run nviz. it crashes and say that "X server has no OpenGL GLX
> extension". Anyone have an idea to solve this?

If you have XFree86 4.x, you should just need to enable the GLX
extension via the XF86Config file, e.g.

	Section "Module"
	    Load	"glx"
	EndSection

If you have XFree86 3.x, or you can't get the above to work, install
the Mesa libraries; but make sure that they are named libGL/libGLU
(rather than libMesaGL/libMesaGLU), and ensure that they come before
the XFree86 libraries in the search path (see "man ldconfig").

If there are problems with OpenGL on Slackware 9, you are unlikely to
be the first Slackware user to have problems; you may be able to
obtain more information from Slackware-specific resources (FAQs,
mailing lists, etc).