[GRASSLIST:5719] Re: Configuration of digitizing tablet for use with Grass 5.0

Roy Sanderson R.A.Sanderson at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Mar 3 09:22:23 EST 2003

Dear John

I'm afraid that I don't have a simple answer as to how to configure your
digitizing tablet, as I have a Drawingboard III digitizer that isn't
talking to Grass5 in RH7.3.  Presumably this is not straightforward in
Grass for some digitizer models or linux setups.  However, if it is any
help to you, the key things you need to check are:

1) that your /etc/inittab file has a line referring to the correct tty, so
com port 1 is ttyS0, com 2 is ttyS1 e.g.
S1:235:off:/sbin/mingetty ttyS1 9600
would point to com 2.  The man page on mingetty recommends using mgetty for
serial lines (although it made no difference to my setup).

2) that your /grass5/etc/digcap file is pointing to the correct digitizer
setup file as described in the /grass5/etc/dicap/digitizers directory.  The
text descriptors for the available digitizers that appear when you run
v.digit are also in the digcap file.

3) that your digitizer is correctly configured to match one of the
digitizer setup files.  From memory I seem to recall that the SummaSketch
uses a series of dip-switches on the underside of the digitizer to control
its baud rate, data mode etc.

Good luck.
Best wishes
Roy

At 02:38 02/03/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi everyone:
>
>I am trying to set up a SummaSketch II Professional 12x18" digitizing tablet
>to use with Grass 5.0.
>I am running Redhat 71. Linux.
>I have tried just plugging the tablet into the back of my computer and
>choosing Cal Comp digitizer in the v.digit setup.  I get an error message
>suggesting I look in "/opt/..." for the existance of a "lock"
>file/directory.
>
>I don't have a clue how to proceed to configure the tablet.  Can anyone
>help?
>
>John Doucette

Roy Sanderson
Centre for Life Sciences Modelling