[GRASSLIST:5771] Re: Error opening terminal: xterm

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Mar 12 08:49:06 EST 2003

Michael O'Donovan wrote:

> I get a  error when I attempt to open a text shell (using $ grass5 =
> text) or attempt to do something like set a mask. The error reads....
>
> sh: line 1: clear: command not found

This should be harmless.

> Error opening terminal: xterm.

This message is generated by the curses library. It normally means
that you don't have a complete terminfo/termcap database, but there
could be other reasons.

> Any ideas as to what is going wrong?? I cant find anything on the
> listserve.
>
> I am running grass5.0.0. installed from a mandrake RPM under Mandrake 9.

It may be related to the GRASS binaries being incorrectly linked
against libtermlib or libtermcap. This is a known problem with 5.0.0
and 5.0.1, which will be fixed in 5.0.2.

It may be possible to fix the problem by making an appropriate symlink
in the GRASS library directory (e.g. /usr/local/grass5/lib) which
points to libncurses instead.

E.g. if the output of "ldd /usr/local/grass5/etc/set_data" contains:

	libncurses.so.4 => /usr/lib/libncurses.so.4 (0x4001c000)
	libtermcap.so.2 => /lib/libtermcap.so.2 (0x4005f000)

then making a symlink:

	ln -s /usr/lib/libncurses.so.4 /usr/local/grass5/lib/libtermcap.so.2

will make the GRASS programs use libncurses instead of libtermcap.